Prime

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Blighted Ovum?...I guess Maybe


Right now I still am not sure what diagnosis I fit in but since somethings are still not adding up, but the Doctor said that she can 95% rule out Ectopic. On 4/2 HCG was 9900 on 4/6 it went to 14000 so that sac is sending HCG but it didnt grow from the U/S on 3/30 and so the doctor said she thinks it is a Blighted Ovum. Anyway FINAL appointment followup to see growth is 4/17 after that if there is nothing viable seen then D & C. Lord I hope we are making the right decision.

A blighted ovum (also known as “anembryonic pregnancy”) happens when a fertilized egg attaches itself to the uterine wall, but the embryo does not develop. Cells develop to form the pregnancy sac, but not the embryo itself. A blighted ovum occurs within the first trimester, often before a woman knows she is pregnant. A high level of chromosome abnormalities usually causes a woman’s body to naturally miscarry
.

How can a blighted ovum be prevented?
Unfortunately, in most cases a blighted ovum cannot be prevented. Some couples will seek out genetic testing if multiple early pregnancy loss occurs. A blighted ovum is often a one time occurrence, and rarely will a woman experience more than one. Most doctors recommend couples wait at least 1-3 regular menstrual cycles before trying to conceive again after any type of miscarriage.


Well it is good to know that I may never deal with this again but heart breaking to think it was egg quality or sperm quality. I hope not and besides it's a theory I am not accepting that into our reality. I am shifting my focus to our wedding. On to the positive side of our life, our wonderful bundle will be here soon, my womb will be blessed. We just know it and have prayed for it.

3 comments:

  1. I pray you find your answer soon hon. I.found mine yesterday. I woke up in severe pain. DH took me to they ER. I ended up having major internal bleeding so they sent me to another hospial for emergency surgery. It was ectopic and I lost my left tube. I now only have one ovary and no tubes. I'm not looking for sympathy, but I can relate to what you are going through. I will never have the chance to have the option, other than IVF now. I understand the pain of wanting to know for sure. I finally got my answer, but it cost me so much! DH and I are devastated.... I will do ER but will not do FET until I am mentally ready for that war again..

    I hope you are taking care of you. May you find your answers and a little peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tara, Lots of virtual hugs to you. While the outcome was so devastating I am happy it wasn't fatal the nightmares i read about ectopics claiming lives. I was hoping you didnt have to endure the same pain I have in my heart when I realized the way my pregnancy was going. I totally agree with what you said about not doing it again until mentally ready, even though yes you want a child these emotional scars are really hard to just bounce right back plus what you endured must have been physically challenging. You and DH are in my thoughts and prayers, spend some time with each other for a while, it helped us. Even though you do not have your tubes and IVF is your only option, know that you are a strong, wonderful, caring person that will make a great mother one day whichever way it happens. While I have my tubes they serve no purpose but I remember the denial I went through to hear at 25 (7 yrs agao) that IVF would be my only option. Lots of hugs your way....take the time to heal and process the situation but I am happy that after this journey when you are ready your embies will be waiting at NH.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Well blighted ovum is considered as the main cause of early miscarriage. When in the uterus a fertilized egg implants and doesn't buildup into an embryo, blighted ovum occur. Even in the IVF there is a possibility of blighted ovum. However, it usually happens due to problems in chromosomes and the structures that carry genes. Also poor-quality sperm and abnormal cell division are being the cause of this abnormality.

    ReplyDelete

4 Yr Old's Are Interesting

Infertility is hard. If you found my page because of my journey, then I completely understand what you are dealing with and hope you have su...